Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Is beauty making a comeback?

Cara Enteles, "Pollination Series #12", 24" x 24", Oil on aluminum

Doug Trump, "Float, 5.75" x 5.75", Oil, pencil, and ink on panel 

Sarah Hinckley, "so hard when it doesn't come easy", 15" x 10", watercolor on fabriano

Cecil Touchon, "Fusion Series 2693", 5" x 4", collage on paper


A few days ago I received a review of an exhibition currently on view at Denver, Colorado's Rule Gallery from an artist friend of mine.  Kyle MacMillan's review, entitled "Beauty's Bold Comeback" in the May 22nd edition of The Denver Post outlines and praises a new exhibition of Barbara Takenaga's work recently mounted at the aforementioned gallery.  Although Takenaga's work is of interest to me, what really caught my attention was this quote from the author:

"After years of offbeat, conceptually driven art triumphing traditional painting and sculpture, the tide is turning in the contemporary art world.  Redefined technique and visual beauty are back."

Although I like to think of myself as hip and try to keep up with most all current cultural trends, I still think art should be inherently beautiful at its core, and have always had a problem truly appreciating art that is hyper-conceptual.  This philosophy of collecting art that is aesthetically pleasing is what I have based my gallery upon and am thrilled to hear others are again championing the concept.  So, as a tribute to "beauty's big comeback," I thought I would post some beautiful paintings I have been admiring recently at the gallery.  

Personally, I hope beauty is here to stay.  Frankly, I didn't know it ever left.

2 comments:

Rico said...

Gauguin said, "the ugly can be beautiful; the pretty, never."

I think we are seeing a hunger for the Sublime once again in art, and specifically in painting. This can take on the majestic, beautiful and spiritual as well as a peculiar kind of lovely oppression.

Lately there is a great deal of talk about how this economy will weed the art world, and how those artists with real technique, whether in contemporary or traditional art, will come out of the other side. Whether this is pendulum swing or true paradigm shift remains to be seen. It is an exciting time for art and to be an artist.

I love the work shown in this post.

Style Court said...

Rico raises some really interesting points. I can't help being drawn to beauty and I'm really excited, Emily, about the artists featured here.